[CS-FSLUG] Current vs. Scriptural Epistemology

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Dec 27 21:13:40 CST 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:53:01 -0600, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

> The Enlightenment Project was a poor steward to the inheritance of
> Aristotle, to the extent they used him. They rejected some key
> Aristotelean ideas, such as virtue ethics, and didn't have much use for
> the best adaptation of Aristotle to the Bible... Thomas Aquinas's works.

I agree. The fundamental question is the epistemology and basic framework
for logic. It's simply not possible to read Scripture without certain
assumptions, because Scripture was written with them. My first aim is to
clarify the one behind the Bible. I believe I'm on very solid ground with
that. My second aim is to extrapolate what I believe that epistemology
demands from us here and now. There, I would naturally expect some dissent.

As for pomo -- I sincerely wish it was more than simply rejecting the
Enlightenment. That's pretty good, but doesn't go far enough, and I think
they end up skipping over the boundaries the Bible does demand of us. "We
are under grace, not under law." Those words from Romans 6 don't mean what
it would appear on the surface they mean. If your only point of reference
is rejecting the Enlightenment, you are still left rather rootless. If you
embrace the ANE, you end up with understanding Paul describes grace as
holding in the Spirit Realm the same place as Law in the realm of the
flesh. The chapter is loaded with contrast and comparison between the two
realms. We don't need to create something just utterly fresh and new; we
need to find out what has been trashed over the centuries and reclaim it.

--
Ed Hurst