[CS-FSLUG] Current vs. Scriptural Epistemology

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Dec 24 13:00:59 CST 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:57:38 -0600, Jason P. Franklin
<haronniin at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is then the epistemology of Scripture.  I ask in sincerity,
> brother, not belligerence.  I earnestly desire to understand.

I know. I take no offense. We live in the world of the Enlightenment,
which is an epistemology derived from that of Aristotle. If you want to
take the time to examine more about that, let me offer this link:
http://soulkiln.org/ew-epist.html.

I must note the Jews had embraced an earlier version of this, typically
called "Hellenism". I contend many of the arguments Jesus had with the
Pharisees was aimed at pointing out this difference, because the Hebrew
people began in ancient times with a much older, Ancient Near Eastern
(ANE) epistemology. Naturally, the whole point behind that fancy word
"epistemology" is the question of how knowledge and belief come to be
regarded as valid. How do we "know"? How do we come to a conclusion on
which we can act? I hash over the history of Jewish cultural shift here:
http://soulkiln.org/bible/basics/westnoxian.html You'll recognize some of
it from the old Sakamuyo days, Jason.

I find it very unfortunate the Aristotelian academic framework associates
the epistemology of the ANE with all the other stuff in the East, and
places it under the label "mysticism." Mysticism does not necessarily
demand a certain set of conclusions, but most people seem to think so. It
is, rather, a word which describes the process of arriving at conclusions
which are not rational, not derived by intellectual process, but by some
other, presumably higher process. We know from Scripture that includes the
idea of hearing from the Holy Spirit. He does not act directly on the
mind, per se, but through our spirits. Our spirits are not part of the
intellect, but a faculty God alone can awaken, which we call "born again."
The brain is supposed to surrender to the spirit-Spirit communion, and
take its cues from the imperatives of God speaking through convictions.

Frankly, I'm not sure I can really give an accurate clinical description,
since I maintain ultimate truth -- Truth -- is ineffable (can't be told in
words). I don't particularly like calling it mysticism, but that's an
accurate label for the epistemology of the Bible. Think of it as the
language of parables.

I don't pretend anyone who rejects this is a fool. The ANE viewpoint
itself discourages you from taking yourself too seriously, from ever
believing you really have it all worked out. So without being combative, I
assert this is the key to understanding Jesus, the Apostles, and the Old
Testament. I believe truth makes its own path, in that sense. It's not my
job to convince anyone, only do my best to answer questions. You'll need
your own story.

--
Ed Hurst