[CS-FSLUG] Chrome OS

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Wed Dec 23 15:06:00 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> Has anyone played around with it yet?

I've got it running on a USB stick in my EeePC 701

> Thoughts?

Loads up (reasonably) fast and then it's... a web browser...

Seriously, it has plenty of potential for a quick 'switch on, use to
look something up, switch off' type situation (although, for that, a
smartphone would possibly be better).

At the moment, it has several drawbacks - I couldn't set the web
proxy, so couldn't connect when I was in college; you can't open up
files like PDFs, word documents, etc. (they theoretically could be
opened in GoogleDocs, but there doesn't seem to be any way to transfer
them to there, as downloaded files can't be viewed); your offline
options are limited (Gears still isn't that fantastic).

Will wait and see what happens (but certainly not troubling my Ubuntu
desktop install - not that it is designed to do that anyway).

Davo