[CS-FSLUG] I had a dream that posed an interesting question

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Dec 6 16:18:11 CST 2009

On 12/06/2009 04:38 PM, Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> This may not be the forum to open this discussion, but it is the only
> one where I think I can open it without criticism.  If it doesnt
> belong here, just ignore me.  But it is philosophical in nature and I
> think worth discussion, at least somewhere.
>
> I had a dream the other night that posed an interesting question.
>
> In my dream I was presented with a computer game that made the
> supposition that you had the ability to wipe out every human from the
> face of the earth on a selective basis.  In other words you were given
> god like powers over human life.  The goal (dont ask me why, this was,
> after all,  just a dream) was to eliminate humans from the earth
> completely.  The computer display showed hundreds of side by side
> blocks that represented square miles, square feet, or what ever you
> chose, of the surface of the earth.  Clicking on any square would
> eliminate all human life in that sector.  The problem that you had was
> sometimes clicking on a block would increase the population of the
> earth because you had eliminated a future threat to another area.
> Other times clocking on a square would reduce the population of the
> earth just as you expected.  When ever wiping out a block caused an
> increase in population you had to reduce the size of the blocks till
> you could eliminate all life that didnt enhance another sector and
> save the one life to be cleared out later.
>
> Now the game made a few assumptions.  First, I cannot reproduce.
> Either I am a male or if a female, the technology to clone is not
> available.  Therefore I cannot consider repopulating the earth.  The
> second assumption is that suicide is not an unpardonable sin.  And the
> third is that all non human life, animal and plant remains.
>
> Now the question is:
>
> Is there any point in continuing to live or should I just click that
> last block and eliminate human life from earth?
>
> Is there a purpose for human life if there is only ONE person?  Is
> there something to give life meaning if you are the only one left?
> Maybe there is still something for you to do?
>
> Anyway, I woke up with that question staring me in the face and
> thought it was interesting enough to share.

The answer would be simple for me, but then, I work at NOT trying
to second-guess God. First, NO....you don't wipe out human life,
and if I were the only one left, I'd live on as long as God would
have me do so. My death would be up to Him, NOT me.

Fred

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to