[CS-FSLUG] Mounted filesystem permissions

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Wed Dec 2 20:55:29 CST 2009

Hi all.

I have an extra partition on my computer that I use for a personal web server
to do PHP development and I am having a problem changing permissions on files
on that partition.

I am able to read and write to the partition, but recently I tried installing
some PHP apps that I wanted to check out like wordpress and joomla and all of
these types of apps said that I needed to change some directories to 777 and
everything I have tried has failed to change the permissions.

So since I can't change the permissions on the files, the program will not
install.

Here's how I have this partition set up:
fstab entry:

/dev/sda5  /home/david/www  vfat  user,auto  0  0

Permissions and ownership:

drwxr-xr-x 20 david david     0 2009-12-02 13:47 www

User can unmount and mount the filesystem

I have tried using umask=777 in my fstab line, but when I do that, I can't
even browse the server at all for some reason.

I'm stumped. Any Ideas?

--
Blessings
David M.