[CS-FSLUG] Linux Kernel, Thermal Monitoring, Broken ACPI

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Aug 28 19:48:38 CDT 2009

Machine: HP Pavilion 542x, sporting an Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz (P4)

Background: HP configures their BIOS to report temps in Centigrade instead
of the standard Kelvin. Thus, Linux and BSD reports temps such as -269C.
All distros I've been able to install do the same thing, as does FreeBSD.
While there are supposed to be ways to write a new DSTD.aml and pass it to
the kernel, with modifications to make it read right, I've not gotten that
to work.

For now, I have CentOS 5.3 (my preference) running with 'acpi=off'. I
don't mind if that's the best I can do, but it keeps the fan running. This
happens to be a big gamer fan, the only replacement part available locally
at the time, so it's pretty noisy.

Symptoms: The fan typically does not run under ACPI, but when it needs to
come on, the kernel notices it cannot be turned off. When I check in
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/ I find polling is disabled, and the tipping
points are all absurd negative values. I can correct those values, but I
cannot correct the reporting temp. Periodically, the kacpi function tries
to the switch, can't do anything, and spews loads of notices in the logs,
while bogging down the system briefly. The notices are simply complaining
the fan cannot be turned off.

To my knowledge, HP has no interest in fixing this, particulary such an
old machine. Is there a way to tell the kernel to ignore thermal
monitoring? A reliable way to present a translator to either read the
values directly in C or translate them to K? There are some kernel patches
floating around, but only for the the most recent series, and nothing for
the stock RedHat/CentOS kernel (2.6.18).

I've been reading about this for about a week. There is a wide gap between
HOWTOs and the esoteric discussion among the code gods. Anybody have a
better idea than just leaving the fan running full bore?

--
Ed Hurst