[CS-FSLUG] wifi problems

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Aug 14 18:35:21 CDT 2009

Hi,
I do not know about your hardware or much about the distro. But, there
are some things you can do to test to see what the problem is...

1) If the problem is just that DHCP is not working, then you should be
able to manually assign an IP address, route, and nameserver, and surf
happily away. Of course, this is a temporary fix until you can determine
what is wrong with your dhclient...
Try the following:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.50
sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1
sudo echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
Then try surfing.
The number 192.168.0.50 represents the IP we are assigning you. Adapt it
as needed.
The number 192.168.0.1 represents your gateway. Adapt it as needed.

2) if the ifconfig fails (gives you an error), then you probably have an
issue with the module for the wireless card.
3) if all the above commands work (no errors), but you cannot ping the
router, then you could have:
a) the wrong wireless key - double-check the key
b) mac-address filtering stopping you - can you log into the WAP over a
wire and check this out?

If the driver has an issue, that is a distro specific issue. You could
possibly rebuild the kernel from source, do a kernel upgrade (yum /
apt), or use a network wire...

- Tim Young