[CS-FSLUG] Keyboard diagnostics (solved)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Oct 12 18:12:35 CDT 2008

For the sake of those who have use for an answer, here goes.

1. It's not enough to properly set the keyboard driver for the Xserver.
Underlying config for the kernel still affects how those drivers act.

2. In SUSE, this is /etc/sysconfig/keyboard. There are two variables
which have to be changed when you change keyboards, as I did.

KEYTABLE="us.map.gz" versus "mac-us.map.gz"

This affects the keytable used by the kernel on the console.

YAST_KEYBOARD="english-us,pc104" versus "english-us,macintosh"

That second item is the whole business of making F11 behave as expected,
along with a whole range of other functions.

I have no idea how it would be on other distros, but I'm sure there is
an equivalent system. For my next trick, since I'm using a fancy MI
multimedia keyboard, is to see if I can make the extra control buttons work.

--
Ed Hurst