[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Mon Nov 3 14:34:16 CST 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 11:35:31 pm Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > Can anyone recommend some good theology books? I've been contemplating
> > studying theology, because I think it will give me a greater
> > understanding of
> > my faith.
>
> 	Sure. Let me suggest a few things. To get a good taste for "Biblical
> Theology," which focuses on seeing the Bible as a whole, let me
> recommend the excellent book "Far as the Curse is Found." I reviewed
> it a few months ago on OFB and am using it to teach my senior high
> students right now. It's aimed at adults, though, like yourself
> looking for a good place to start. Dr. Williams, one of my profs. at
> Covenant Seminary, is the author.
>
> 	http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/458.html
> 	http://www.amazon.com/Far-As-Curse-Found-Redemption/dp/0875525105/ref=sr_1
>_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225686031&sr=1-1
>
> 	Now there is also systematic theology, which is more of my passion.
> That's the sort of theology that tries to group things into topics,
> like "What's the proper view of Christian governance." I'd recommend
> checking out Karl Barth's "Dogmatics in Outline." It's a fairly short
> little book that presents systematic theology in the format it is best
> known: the Apostle's Creed.
>
> 	http://www.amazon.com/Dogmatics-Outline-Karl-Barth/dp/006130056X
>
> 	Karl Barth was the most influential theologian of the 20th century,
> and -- in my estimation -- also one of the finest theologians of all
> time. Also, for a quick read, check out Barth's "Barmen Declaration,"
> which he authored for the Confessing Church as it opposed the rapidly
> rising Nazi government in Germany:
>
> 	http://www.creeds.net/reformed/barmen.htm
>
> 	To really understand systematic theology, a good primer on Philosophy
> of Religion can also be helpful. I'd recommend John Hick's delightful
> little "Introduction to Philosophy of Religion," 4th Edition:
>
> 	http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Religion-4th-Foundations/dp/0136626289
>
> 	It is another short book, and if you read it slowly enough -- maybe
> 10 pages at a time -- you'll get a TON out of it. Hick has some major
> theological problems, but they really don't show up in this book,
> which is an especially fine summary of a difficult field.

Just got home from buying 2 books so far. I got "Dogmatics in Outline"
and "systematic theology" I'm going to start with systematic theology first
and I have bookmarked the rest of the books on amazon for when I get more
money together to buy them.

> > Maybe I'm lost, maybe I'm not. This could even be a cry for help. I
> > don't
> > know. But one thing I do know is that I need a better understanding
> > of where
> > I stand with God.
>
> 	You stand before God as his child. If you confess Christ as your
> savior,

He always has been. He always will be :-)

> 	"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have
> fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses
> us from all sin."

True.

> 	Theology, my friend, is the icing on the cake we already have. But it
> is a fun icing, so dive on in!
>

> 	Ok, let me take my theological hat off and put on my political hat.
> As a cat to catnip, I cannot resist. But let me be clear, I believe
> one can differ on what I'm going to say and it has ABSOLUTELY NO
> BEARING ON SALVATION. Period. The Gospel does not require you to have
> a "correct political viewpoint."
>
> > Am I a Liberal? I sure am. Do I believe in abortion? No, (which is
> > my personal
> > opinion, that I choose not to force on someone else) but on the
> > other hand I
> > don't believe in the death penalty either. I just can't come to
> > grips with
> > anyone killing anyone whether it be an individual or a government
> > doing the
> > killing.
>
> 	Ok, here's a question for you then. If you don't believe in the death
> penalty, would you abolish it if you had the power? And if you'd
> abolish it, why would you not similarly abolish abortion?

Now you know where I'm struggling. I don't even know where to begin to explain
this. Maybe you could help me out by answering a question for me. Let's say
hypothetically your wife was pregnant and was told she would die if she gave
birth. What would you do?

Other than that, I don't believe in abortion at all period. I don't believe a
woman should be able to just do it for no reason at all.

> > Another part of me believes in stem cell research, because someday
> > it could benefit me and millions of other people, but sometimes I'm
> > afraid to
> > say so, because a very small part of me thinks it may be wrong;
> > Furthermore,
> > the ones that are against it make me feel like they are ripping any
> > "hope" I
> > and so many others have in finding a cure.
>
> 	Well, I think the clear point needs to be made that those of us who
> oppose embryonic stem cell research do not oppose stem cell research.
> Embryonic stem cell research has two major problems: (1) it requires
> cloning human beings, a technological feat I think we are far better
> off not perfecting and (2) aborting those cloned human beings. I would
> respectfully submit it is never appropriate to kill human life to
> benefit human life.
>
> 	But that said, adult stem cell research has advanced to the point
> these last few years since this issue was first raised that embryonic
> stem cell research seems to be largely unnecessary.

Very true. From what I have read and hear about embryonic stem cell research
is that it happens between something like 7-11 days after the egg is
fertilized and is not conceived within the womb but instead fertilized in a
lab.

> > I also vote democratic, even though most of them are pro-choice. I
> > feel that
> > even though they are, the only person I have to answer for is
> > myself, God
> > will take care of the rest.
>
> 	Agreed that you only have to answer to God and yourself.
>
> 	Still, how about letting me talk you out of Barack Obama?

HeHeHe, I said I was a democrat, didn't say I was voting for Obama. Matter of
fact I don't always vote democrat. I voted for Bush Sr.'s 2nd term. When he
got beat by Clinton.

In the past 2 or 3 years I have completely gave up on politics.  I've come to
the conclusion, they are all liars and con artist and I greatly despise a
liar.

> 	I would
> submit that he is proposing the sort of policies that led us into the
> Great Depression. He also is not the sort of guy that will help bi-
> partisanship, despite what he says. He's very partisan. Even with
> abortion and such aside, he is economically very dangerous.

> 	Plus, living next to Illinois, I'd warn that these days I'd be very
> wary about trusting any major Illinois politician. The Chicago
> political machine is simply too dirty, and Obama has pretty
> substantial links to it.

I almost come to the point where I don't trust *any* politician anymore. LOL

> 	Until he became the Republican presidential nominee, McCain was every
> Democrat's favorite Republican, so vote for him and you're hardly
> loosing anything. :-)

IMHO it's hard to say anything good about either and it's certainly hard to
trust either too.

PS: I don't want to turn this into a political discussion. I just want to
point out that neither candidate is at the top of my list and I'm sitting
this one out.
--
David M.