[CS-FSLUG] Desktop Linux Version of avast!

Greg Slade grgaslists at rogers.com
Fri Jun 27 13:36:58 CDT 2008

> So what's wrong with the plethora of libre security tools for
> GNU/Linux systems?

Like I said, I'm still doing the research. For antivirus, there are a
couple of sites which do comparative testing, so one of the things on my
plate is to isolate out the tests specifically on Linux tools, and
figure out which ones are most effective.

As one example, Norman doesn't have particularly good scores on the
Virus Bulletin tests, but if you look at just the tests on Linux, the
results are much better. Thus, while I wouldn't recommend it for Windows
users, I may recommend it for Linux users.

I should state right out that I have no interest in picking one tool and
telling people "you must use this": partly, that's because I resent it
when anybody tries to coerce me, so why should I coerce anyone else, and
partly, it's because we're not in a position to tell our users  that
they "must" use any particular tools. Therefore, in each class of tool,
what I'm attempting to do is identify a shortlist of tools which are
"recommended", and another list of tools which are "acceptable" for use
in our network. Beyond that, I have to leave it up to our users to make
their decisions on what to use, based on factors like price, size of
download (a number of our users are in locations where dialup is the
only way to get online), availability in their language, export
restrictions, user interface, or whatever.

In any case, I haven't even finished compiling the numbers on avast!, so
I can't say whether it's worth putting onto either shortlist, but since
I managed to get that odd little inconsistency cleared up, I thought I'd
better share that knowledge for the benefit of anyone else who is
looking for the same stuff I am.

Greg

--
Greg Slade
Long ago, there lived a creature with a voice like a vacuum cleaner.