[CS-FSLUG] Desktop Linux Version of avast!

Greg Slade grgaslists at rogers.com
Fri Jun 27 12:37:00 CDT 2008

One of the things I've been doing is researching security products for
Linux, as part of a wider project researching the same kinds of products
for Windows and Mac. Yesterday, I was on the avast! site, and noticed an
oddity: they have a free desktop version for Linux, but you can't use it
for work. Their other Linux products are all for the server. So I wrote
to ask about a desktop version which can be used for work:

 >> I'm researching antivirus products for use on the different
 >> operating systems we support (Linux, Macintosh, and Windows), so
 >> I've been looking at your web site, but I'm confused. The avast!
 >> Linux Home Edition page says that it can't be used by institutions,
 >> even non-commercial ones (which we are), but the only other Linux
 >> versions I've seen are for servers. So where is the desktop Linux
 >> version which can be used in institutions?

This was their response:

 > We do not have a professional version for Linux workstations. avast!
 > Linux home edition is for domestic use.

 > For a legal professional use (or non-profit) of avast! Linux home
 > edition, we can charge the same cost as for avast! professional
 > edition (Windows OS) and offer a special 50% non-profit discount.

 > To receive a discount code please apply here:

So, in short, the way to protect a "work" Linux desktop with avast! is
to download the free version, and then pay for it.

Greg
--
Greg Slade
"You tell him, and I will smack you. I will smack you like a bad, bad