[CS-FSLUG] End of the Net (again)?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jun 18 12:29:01 CDT 2008

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> This nonsense WILL be attempted - count on it!! If the big companies get
>> away with it, then it will spread like wildfire and consume the Net.
>> Once "Obamamama" is in the White House, it'll be a done deal because he
>> is a would-be totalitarian.
>
> Permit me to steer this in another direction.
>
> First of all, as described in the IPower article, this is currently
> illegal in the US under FCC regs. However, supposing the plans as
> described include plans to buy a change in regulation. I don't doubt the
> big telecoms are capable and willing; it's just a matter of will they dare.

Of course! After Obamama is in office, it's a slam dunk.

[snip]

> I'm thinking a plausible future scenario is, at least temporarily,
> serious Net geeks will be reduced mostly to dialup Net access again,
> maybe even as far back as the old BBS network. However, we are a moving
> target in both hardware and software, and will work around it again.
> Will we be so eager to make it easy for the whole world to run like a
> bull through a china shop on our "new Net" again?

Ed, what you fail to see is that we are at the end of our Republic or
VERY near the end. There are a number of things that must happen before
we're under a totalitarian gov't, but 2 very important ones are; take
away all firearms (which demos. and Obamama will do), and control the
media, which isn't far off once Rupert Murdock dies and FOX is in the
hands of his ULTRA liberal son. Control of the Net. AND making it more
expensive will "seal the deal."

Oh yes......watch out this Fall as Time Warner, Comcast, and other
broadband providers start filtering mail they don't consider
"politically correct" AND start charging a surcharge for data up and
down stream. Hughesnet is already filtering in a BIG way and I'm
"beating" on them about it. Liberals only support the 1st Amendment when
it protects them, NOT when it protects anyone else. They must get the
2nd Amendment ruled as NOT a right to individuals because a slave master
can't have his slaves armed.

Fred

--
Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
to support your Windows anymore."