[CS-FSLUG] Why You Might Be Using Linux in 2009

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Dec 28 17:17:50 CST 2008

Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Whatever you do, 2009 is looking to be a big year.

Not unless the arms race stops. I'm going to keep flogging that horse:
As long as rolling release dominates the Linux scene, ordinary users
will *never* adopt it. If we don't come up with a desktop project which
forever chases its own tail, as GNOME and KDE do, with neither project
every really fixing bugs and making anything a long-term standard, we
will never have what it takes to capture the general public. The Linux
Desktop is just a big hobby for hobby users only, and there aren't very
many of them compared to regular users.

--
Ed Hurst