[CS-FSLUG] OpenSolaris Users?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Tue Dec 23 20:41:30 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:

> That's why I like RHEL so much (presumably CentOS would be the same,
> since only differs in minor ways). You can run the same RHEL release
> for over half a decade. They offer security updates, but they backport
> those to the same software versions that came with the system, that
> way features don't shift around when just trying to keep the system
> stable and secure.

I was thinking about that myself. Downloaded the netinstall for CentOS
5.2 X86-64 and ran it on my spare harddrive (upon which openSUSE 11.1
failed pretty badly). I'm posting from it now, having conquered the
issues: sound, webcam, Elinks latest, nVidia graphics, Nedit (requires
an alias with instructions to avoid 32-bit color), and the freetype
bytecode thing. It's working rather nice, but as you suggest, this is no
desktop distro.

I believe CentOS ghosts the support term of RHEL, which was five years
per release last time I checked.

--
Ed Hurst