[CS-FSLUG] Tim, do you have any words of wisdom about this?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Dec 17 22:01:00 CST 2008

Heh. Sure. My primary theory would be that Apple already dumped IDG's
other big MacWorld event -- MacWord New York (later Boston), which use
to be their big summer time announcement platform. Jobs started making
a big deal out of his WWDC keynotes after that. Just guessing, but
perhaps Apple is planning to replace MacWorld San Francisco similarly.
That's most likely, I believe.

It may also be that Apple no longer wants to be tied down to specific
dates for unveiling products. WWDC moves around, in part, based on
when Apple has stuff ready to show. It has been as early as the first
week in June and as late as mid-August. They usually announce it a few
months early. MacWorld was always announced a year ahead of time.

Apple in recent years seems to favor smaller events on its schedule in
general. For example, it announced the iPhone SDK not at some big
event, but one called two or three weeks in advance (rather than
months) and held it at its own campus. Likewise, it has done so for
the last few major computer updates -- most recently the unibody
MacBooks and the aluminum iMacs. iPods usually get updated at the
same, non-trade show events.

Given that AAPL stock tumbles whenever there is a trade show, because
Apple can never release EVERYTHING rumored, it may be wise to go this
route.

Finally, (though I doubt this, unless Jobs really is extremely ill) it
may be that Apple is trying to de-emphasize the Stevenote so that
investors don't see the company's fate so tied up with one man.
Likewise, if Phil Shiller does a great job and announces some products
at MacWorld, it would further build up the idea that Jobs is not
irreplaceable. A good thing.

Oh, one more: tradeshows in general seem to be dying. Maybe that's
part of the reason?

	-Tim

On Dec 17, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Is the Sky Falling - or Has Apple Outgrown Macworld?
>
> Erika Morphy
> 12/17/08 12:59 PM PT
>
> Macworld has been a mecca for Apple acolytes in years past, complete
> with lucky ticket holders waiting in long lines to enter the sacred
> sanctum where Steve Jobs delivers a keynote address, while larger
> crowds
> of attendees wait forlornly on the outside. That scenario will never
> occur again. Jobs -- and Apple -- have kissed Macworld goodbye.
>
> http://www.macnewsworld.com/edpick/65544.html
>
> --
> "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
> liberties
> than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private
> banks to
> control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
> deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the
> banks
> will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up
> homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas
> Jefferson, 1802

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-
panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot