[CS-FSLUG] Linksys Router, 10 meg internet

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Dec 14 17:00:45 CST 2008

> It depends.  It sounds like the modem itself has a 100baseT ethernet
> port on the LAN side (100mbs), the question is whether the ports on
> the
> router are 100baseT or 10baseT.  It sounds like it is only a 10mbps
> port
> on the router.  It could be that the LAN ports on the router are
> 100mbps, but only 10mbps on the WAN (modem) side.  Because of Ethernet
> protocal overhead, you will only ever reach a maximum of 70-80% of the
> port speed.  So, it sounds to me that somewhere there is a 10baseT
> port
> when the router is in place.

	Thanks, that makes sense. I forgot to consider overhead. T-Mobile has
their branded version of the Linksys WRT54GS on sale for $20, so I've
ordered one of those to replace the venerable BEFSR41. I already have
a WRT54G in place as a wireless access point, but it isn't in a
location that would work well for it being hooked up directly to the
cable modem as the home's router.

	In case anyone else is interested, you can find the T-Mobile deal here:
	http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/SelectDevice.aspx?categorycode=39

	Just click any phone pictured and then choose the Linksys router. You
do not have to be a T-Mobile customer, it seems.

	Wikipedia reports the unit as being a WRT54GL (the Linux version that
has more RAM and ROM), but my invoice reports it as a WRT54GS (which
is suppose to be like the WRT54GL only with double the RAM and ROM and
with "Speedbooster" support). Though I will probably use the stock
firmware, it also is suppose to be compatible with dd-wrt...

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Do  not forget that  the value and interest of
Editor, OfB.biz   | life is not so much to do conspicuous things...
tbutler at ofb.biz   | as to do ordinary things with the perception of
timothybutler.us  | their enormous value."
                                       -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin