[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Robert Wohlfarth rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:43:04 CDT 2008

"Micah Yoder" <yoderm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you really used a database? Not to sound sarcastic but with those
> arguments it doesn't sound like you really understand what they're all
> about.  Storing structured relational data in text files just isn't a
> good idea.  I don't even believe it would be easier in any way.  Code
> to parse and re-write the files would certainly be more than the
> couple lines it takes to do an SQL query.

I see this becoming a clone of the existing applications already out
there. A relational database stores information. Forms provide data
entry. We have lists of state codes, accounts, etc. A few standard
reports can be accessed from the menu. Very quick and easy to pick up.
The initial learning curve is shallow.

With some experience, that nice interface slows down data entry. You
need more sophisticated reporting. Now the learning curve jumps. It's
not a smooth curve anymore. You have to re-create everything to get
improvement. Or you hack out a customized version which can't be
updated. Either way, now the church inherits all of the work.

A database has advantages and disadvantages. They are fast with huge
amounts of data. They automate indexing. And they handle multiple users
accessing the same set of data.

On the down side, a database is very rigid. The application creates its
own interface for common operations like add, change, copy, rename, and
delete. The database application itself requires knowledge to configure
and maintain.

This thought process occurred while looking for an address book
program. It ended up with putting one address per file, like this...
First Last
123 Somewhere Street
Anyplace, IN 44444

Some files have phone numbers or a list of children. But in every file,
the address is followed by a blank line. Copy, delete, create new
records - the file manager handles all of that.

This makes for very fast development. You don't spend time re-inventing
the wheel. Plus someone else gets to worry about all of the little
details.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
rbwohlfarth at gmail.com

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
him, who have been called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28