[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Jason Franklin jpfagapeu at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 08:26:01 CDT 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 5:46 AM, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:52 PM, Micah Yoder <yoderm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Robert Wohlfarth <rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> A lot of churches - especially the ones looking for free (cost)
>>> software - have modest amounts of active data. I'm not sure if
>>> performance is that much of a problem.
>>>
>>> A database adds complexity. It must be managed, supported, etc...
>>> The
>>> cost, in this case, isn't money. Volunteers face a steeper learning
>>> curve.
>>
>> Have you really used a database? Not to sound sarcastic but with
>> those
>> arguments it doesn't sound like you really understand what they're
>> all
>> about.  Storing structured relational data in text files just isn't a
>> good idea.  I don't even believe it would be easier in any way.  Code
>> to parse and re-write the files would certainly be more than the
>> couple lines it takes to do an SQL query.
>
> I think you guys have 2 differing perspectives. Roberts comments are
> accurate from the perspective of the user/system administrator. Adding
> a database layer means supporting the database program and learning
> enough about it for it to work. Using a system of flat files would be
> almost invisible to the user and perhaps more to their expectation
> from using Microsoft Word. Databases are strange beasts to the
> majority of the population.
>
>> From the programmers perspective, a database is a huge asset allowing
> significant efficiency and power in handling data. Someone else has
> solved that problem, all we have to do is depend on them.
>
> The question at hand is perhaps, "Will forcing the user to depend on a
> database they won't understand create a barrier to adoption for our
> targeted user base?" If our goal is service, then we are not likely to
> accomplish that by doing what is easy for us, but rather do what is
> easy for those who are to be served.
>
> JSR/
>
> --
> Our Mission
> Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
> http://missions.ritchietribe.net

It seems to me that a church which is interested in using a management
program expects some ramp up, some learning to be involved.  The
question is level of complexity.  I don't really know jack about how
databases work, but I use them all the time.  The several websites I
administer use MySQL...which I really don't know anything about.  The
key is the interface.  I know what I want the application to do.  The
interface handles the heavy lifting.

Jason P. Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary
Westwood Bible Fellowship