[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Apr 9 07:28:26 CDT 2008

EnzoAeneas wrote:
> no not at all. We have control over the version of everything we use.
> Besides, if we simply adapt pre-existing software for most
> functionality, we are simply providing glue code.
>
> But you are not wrong at all. Just perspective different from mine.
> We can go that direction to simplify initial implementation, and
> maintain a separate codebase for other ideas.
> Both could be maintained. In either case, we need to plan well and
> keep all of our end users in mind.
> I appreciate that you have been doing that through my techno ranting :-)

Two parallel models. If we can manage it, I rather like that idea. There
is something to be said for having a smaller and simple glue package
based on OO, as long as we remind users it has limits. At the same time,
we can produce a heavier project for larger churches. Perhaps the coup
de grace would be some means to migrate up to the latter if the
particular organization wishes.

That way we can help the computer clueless, but offer something more
involved for organizations willing to commit to learning the heavier
system. We can't deny a large scale operation simply requires more
specialization in staff. I don't see how that makes it any worse than
what exists in commercial CM software, and certainly better that we
remove the cost of the software itself. The only people we can't appeal
to are those who insist on the full corporate support model.

In the process, we become somewhat expert in the field itself, and offer
strong advice to those who can't make up their minds, or whose needs
simply fall outside the immediate scope of what we build. All of us who
take a hand in this gain expertise and improve our serve in the many
unforeseen places the Lord takes us.

--
Ed Hurst