[CS-FSLUG] an Intro

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Apr 8 01:21:26 CDT 2008

2008/4/7 Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz>:
> together. I ditto the others in their curiosity about getting BibleTime to
> run on the Mac -- MacSword is OK, but not quite good enough for regular
> usage in my estimation. Accordance hits the spot, but it'd be nice to have
> something free to recommend to folks...

Yeah, I just wish I could recommend BT. However, it was such a pain
for me to build, that I don't see your average user being willing to
go through it! ;-) However, I must also admit that I know nothing
about building static versions of things--I tried, but quickly learned
that it was a far deeper problem than I realized! I would have to
build static versions (bad terminology, but I don't know how else to
say it) of Qt, KDE-libs and base, as well as cLucene and Sword, and
some other weird problems I ran into (bono and fontconfig are two I
remember). If somebody with more time and patience, and in particular,
knowledge were to attempt it, it might be packagable. I know I found
an ancient version of BT (1.4) on my backup hard drive the other day
(I must have downloaded it ages ago) that installed itself into /opt/,
but it too was missing essential libraries.

However, there is hope. The developers are moving BT to a straight Qt
build, not needing KDE to run. This would make it truly native and
cross-platform. I only wish I could help!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland