[CS-FSLUG] Mac and Vista

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Apr 6 20:49:24 CDT 2008

Nathan wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> [snip]
>> DON'T hold your breath. M$ has a very difficult time getting anything
>> done right. To make matters worse, it APPEARS that Win7 will be modular,
>> not monolithic. The ONLY modern modular OS that is stable, secure,
>> INCREDIBLY FAST (like real time), and yet has a small footprint is QNX.
>> IF I'm putting the bits and pieces together that I hear and read, it
>> will be modular and it also WON'T be backwards compatible. Hopefully, it
>> will finally force MickySoft OUT of OS witting business.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> According to Wikipedia the NT kernel is already a hybrid kernel that is
> "highly modular". If speculation as to how Windows 7 will be made turns
> out to be true I'm sure there will be some consequences for Microsoft;
> however, I'm skeptical of the information that's floating around out
> there right now. Lets see Microsoft publish something on the subject,
> then I'll decide whether I think it's going to leave them hurting.

Well, that's what MickySoft claimed....."highly modular," but I beg to
differ. As it is now, it WILL be a radical change. Understand that Gates
and Company now think that the days of the PC are very numbered. I don't
agree......appliances are simply too limited for what most want. Anyway,
they are developing Win7 as fast as possible as a core OS to move to a
LOT of appliances. I also think that they have grand hopes of getting
back into the server market and displace Linux from that market.

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.