[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Apr 6 20:44:53 CDT 2008

Nathan wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> I've had the TOTAL opposite experience!! Vista is a disaster! It's so
>> hardware and application UNfriendly, I now refuse to support it -
>> PERIOD! I replace it, but WON'T support it.
>>
>> Fred
>>
> That doesn't come as much of a surprise Fred, if I'm not mistaken SUSE
> has been good to you. If I wanted to learn as much about Linux as many
> of the people in this list did, and of course grow accustomed to the
> things that I'd rather were different but couldn't change, then I'm sure
> I'd be much happier with Linux than I am now.

I have a LOT of openSUSE users......some who know not much more about a
'puter than to turn it on. One is an 86 yr. old grandmother. ;)

> Right now in fact I'm running Ubuntu, I like to keep an eye on the most
> suitable distribution I can find for myself. I'm sure my scanner would
> work with it, my iPod and my digital camera would too. My webcam aught
> to as well given it's age. My printer doesn't work well with it though,

What printer do you have?

> and I have to unplug the bluetooth receiver for my keyboard and mouse
> and plug it back in every time I boot up Ubuntu in order to get it to
> see these devices because of the order in which it loads the bluetooth
> kernel module. I also haven't managed to get it to work in dual display
> while the motherboard for my Vista system was off for warranty
> replacement (I'm not impressed with Asus). Of course Photoshop Elements

Asus is NOT allowed on my "buy" list.

> won't run natively on Ubuntu, and the backup program that came with
> Ubuntu provides no feedback, it's too transparent and I can't tell when
> it's running, when the last backup was completed, or whether or not it
> was completed successfully. Vista accompanied with the software I
> already own provides me with the things that I'm waiting for Linux to
> get, other than that it's coming along nicely.

You're only the 2nd person I've heard from who's that happy with it.

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.