[CS-FSLUG] Mac and Vista (was: Re: OS/2 Anyone?)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Apr 6 12:29:09 CDT 2008

> Microsoft hasn't done too bad in this arena either, at least until
> Vista. I'll give Apple this, the majority of the software from before
> the switch to Intel will run through Rosetta, but the difference in
> performance and the increased heat output from my MacBook bothers me
> when it does this. I've waited too long for a version of Photoshop
> Elements that runs natively on the Intel Macs and there has been no
> delivery.

http://www.macworld.com/article/132649/2008/03/elements.html

	To be sure, the Intel switchover has been difficult, in some
respects, but I think they pulled it off about as well as you can
change architectures. Most stuff, like Office, is quite usable on
Rosetta. More impressive, I think, is how they managed to keep
Classic apps running under OS X on PPC. I think clearly the benefits
of switching to Intel are paying off for the difficulties (though I
still think PPC was a better platform in many respects,
technologically).

> Sure, there's a difference between having programs run slower and not
> running at all, but I've only had compatibility problems with Vista
> when
> it came to software that integrated into the core components of the
> operating system (think antivirus and Acronis True Image).

	Vista has caused me no end of headaches. Printers not working right,
"Express Upgrades" failing miserably, etc. Ack. I'm looking forward
to Windows 7. May Windows 7 be another Windows 98.

> I don't think we can honestly say that with the release of Vista there
> will be some sort of mass migration to Linux. If that were true
> then it
> would have happened when people were complaining that the newfangled
> Windows XP wasn't half as good as Windows 2000 and 98 which it was
> replacing. Some people will shift around, but if Windows is
> familiar to
> them then odds are the majority will stop exploring after a while and
> reluctantly come back.

	Windows 98 especially, and Windows 2000 somewhat, I would still hold
as the best released of Windows. I recently acquired about a dozen
Windows 98 licenses. I don't know what I'll do with them, but it was
such a good vintage, I couldn't pass it up.

	Of course, my reason for switching was Office 2000. When Outlook
ended up with a corrupt database for the second time in a month and
it required an OS reinstall to fix it, I decided enough was a enough.
KDE 2.1, I knew, finally met my needs, so...

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald