[CS-FSLUG] KDE 4 and SuSE

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Sun Apr 6 03:30:17 CDT 2008

On Sunday 06 April 2008 4:58:45 am Frank Bax wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > I experimented with this, I found out where Kubuntu is getting that
> > firmware and downloaded it and extracted it in /lib/firmware on SuSE and
> > the wireless card instantly worked. Maybe SuSE should look into something
> > like that. So far the way I see other suse users getting their bcmxx
> > wireless working on SuSE makes me feel sorry for them.
>
> What's the license on that file?

As far as I know, it is called a "restricted driver" by kubuntu. How I know
this is  because in kubuntu there is a control center applet called "
restricted drivers" This applet has detected all 3 hardware pieces that I
need restricted drivers for, and all you do is click on the piece of hardware
that you want to enable and it will automatically downnload the firmware for
it, install it and enable it. I have my ATI Radeon express 200M, a fax/data
modem and the bcmxx wireless card that use restricted drivers.

The file name for the bcmxx wireless is called wl_apsta.o in case you want to
do some more research.

With this file, on SuSE, you have to manually use the fwcutter package to
install it, but on kubuntu it's automatically done with the restricted driver
icon in control center.

--
David M.