[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 14:17:02 CDT 2008

Vincent Danen wrote:
> I don't recall where I read it, but it was just a few days ago that they
> were talking about Windows 7 and these compatibility issues.
>
> Mind you, if you look at software compatibility under Vista, which I've
> heard can be pretty rough for older programs, then the modular system
> they're thinking of for Windows 7 will probably be worse.
>
> Time will tell, of course, but if they *do* go that way, then yeah, I
> can see a lot of people saying enough is enough.
I don't know; I've been using Vista since I got the 64 bit disks from
Microsoft. Admittedly the 32 bit version drove me back to Windows XP. I
guess I'm just one of the unlucky people who never finds a version of
Linux that fits well. I've found Windows Vista in the 64 bit incarnation
to be problematic, but better for me than any Linux distribution and
close to how good Windows XP was. Some of the improvements in Vista have
encouraged me to stick with it, and now I'm quite comfortable with it.
The fact that the 64 bit works better than any 64 bit Linux distribution
I've ever seen, and that it can use all 8GB of ram I have unlike Windows
XP makes me content with what I have.

Sometimes I wonder where people get their information from. Apple has
historically broken backward compatibility with new versions of their
OS, including within different versions of OS X and people have never
reacted to it the way they did with Vista. The reaction to Vista is also
a lot like the reaction to Windows XP when that was new. As bad as it
looks now, if Windows Vista were just to have as long a life as Windows
XP, I'm sure by the time five years had passed people would see it with
the same fondness and be complaining about the next version of Windows.

 As for Linux; I'm looking forward to the day when I can install Ubuntu
and have it work properly with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and dual
displays without some kind of divine intervention. Working and mature
wireless support would be nice too. The rest may work, but that's still
not good enough for myself or Joe Average.