[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Apr 4 13:06:37 CDT 2008

Micah Yoder wrote:
> I was also a big OS/2 fan back in the day.  But now .... why???  It's
> dead.  It will stay dead.  What's the point?

Not dead quite yet. Like any minority OS, there remains a loyal
following. Further, it continues to work quite well on older hardware,
and is supported by it's current seller, Serenity. The test version I
received is called "eComStation" now -- not a pretty name, but also not
"OS/2".

I'm not trying to sell it, just trying to understand it. My interests
from the so-called SOHO angle is using it run older hardware still in
good shape, and old DOS/Win apps which many businesses still use. It has
some of the latest technology ideas incorporated, but not all of them.
Whether the mix is good depends on how it's used, I'm guessing. It's
still virus-free, as far as I can tell, a major issue with MS-anything.

Yes, it's often a driver nightmare, but so is my beloved FreeBSD -- also
called "dead" by many. In fact, I just built a new system for which
there is insufficient support from FreeBSD right now. Soon as they fix
it, I'll be switching. Meanwhile, eCS 2.0-RC4 is out and I intend to
find out if it's viable for at least part of the supposed market. I
already know several corporate settings where OS/2 remains dominant --
medicine and banking, to name two. It's used more in Europe than in the US.

I'm looking forward to playing with it.

--
Ed Hurst