[CS-FSLUG] OS/2 Anyone?

Vincent Danen vdanen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:35:56 CDT 2008

* [2008-04-04 12:28:12 -0400] John Mark Clayton wrote:

>I used OS/2 Warp for a number of years and found it appealing.  I preferred
>the 'object oriented' desktop.  I could set attributes on a per-file pr
>folder basis rather than per the file extension.  I thought the desktop
>experience was more responsive than Windows. Thought there were times when
>the input queue would over flow and hang the desktop.  It was a rock solid
>os for doing software development.  I was disappointed with the availability
>of applications and drivers.

I loved OS/2.  While everyone went from DOS to Win3.1 to Windows95, I
went from DOS to win3.1 to OS/2.  Fantastic OS.  Serious PITA to install
sometimes tho.

I looked at it again a few months ago by installing it in Parallels on
my mac, just to see if I could do it.  I did it, eventually, but the
networking setup was a serious PITA.

Honestly, people who think Linux is hard should try getting a working
OS/2 up and running.  =)

I would no longer use it... the mac and Linux are so much better than it
now, but "back in the day", it was awesome.  It wasn't until IBM
seriously borked a fixpack for Warp 4 that I started to look at Linux
seriously.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/