[CS-FSLUG] Watch For Tux in Indy 500 Sunday

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:20:37 CDT 2007

Tux is definitely in the Indy 500: http://tux500.com/geeklog/

The project fell short of the minimum goal, but Tom Chastain is allowing the
penguin logo to remain on the nose cone anyway.  That said, since Roberto
Moreno qualified with the car yesterday, donations have spiked tremendously
as the fence-sitters jump off.  Despite some initial controversy, the
project looks like it will be pretty successful overall.  The project has
gotten Linux quite a bit of media coverage already, and one California-based
newspaper editor is looking into getting his paper to cover the story.

Despite not being a race car fan, and realizing that NASCAR is the big race
in Charlotte, I will be watching the Indy 500 for the first time ever.  As
an auditor of the project, I am definitely excited to see Linux being
advertised.  This is phenomenal!  It is good to see the project team stuck
to their guns and worked so hard to make this happen.  The GNU/Linux
community in general should applaud their efforts.  And while I cannot
encourage or discourage people from contributing, the project is still
accepting Paypal donations through the 26th.

The Indy 500 will start @ 1:00 PM Sunday the 27th, and will be aired on ABC.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Editor, Free Software Advocate