[CS-FSLUG] Access blocking technology

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue May 15 14:43:37 CDT 2007

Could any of our webmaster types enlighten me? Recently I've been asked to
visit a few links which reject my connection attempts with some
consistency. A couple of hobby sites on tripod.com return the message
"unreachable" regardless of the browser I use on my FreeBSD box, although
I can get a response on a 'host' query on the CLI. An example is
http://henrietta_bowman.tripod.com . From an XP box on the same LAN, it
works perfectly. Selective blocking by OS?

Then there's http://www.christianpost.com/ (Christian news site) which
will not let me connect via Lynx, but accepts Elinks. However, I note on
my FreeBSD box, Elinks has JScript compiled in. Would they block if
JScript is disabled?

--
Ed Hurst