[CS-FSLUG] [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Old problem with Ubuntu, XP and Samba

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun May 13 16:21:43 CDT 2007

You should never have a guest user on Linux, especially one with no
password.  So, no.  Do not make one.

 From Linux to the XP, you do not need the printers folder.  (Sorry
about that).
smb://guest:@[computer]/[printer]
smb://guest:@192.168.0.2/Brother

Windows does not do ipp by default.  I have never found (nor looked for)
a program to do it.  smb:// is the native Windows protocol, and should
be used when connecting to your XP computer.

I have a brother printer (2070N), which is a network enabled printer.
That uses LPR/jetdirect port 9100.  Any computer can connect up to it
regardless of OS.  You can get simple network printservers to do the
same thing.  It makes this sort of thing much easier.

    - Tim Young

HildingE wrote:
> Thank You! Does this mean I have to create an account i Linux
> (eg.Ubuntu, which I like mostly) named "guest"? Actually I tried that,
> and believe it or not, my problem with password and CUPS in
> http://localhost:631 disappeared. And the folder "printers" , can I find
> that one on my XP machine? My last question; is it possible to use ipp
> (SSH-server) from my LinuxPC to connect to the printer on my XPmachine?
>
> Hilding E
>

> Tim Young wrote / skrev:
>

>> Hi,
>> With all your OSes, it gets a little confusing to make sure I know which
>> OS we are trying to connect to/from.
>>
>> My understanding is that you are trying to connect from a Linux box to
>> an XP box, and are wondering what URI to use?
>>
>> XP really likes having a username/password with it, so I usually use:
>>
>> smb://guest:@192.168.0.2/printers/Brother
>>
>> This is the syntax smb://[user[:password]@]computer/path
>> The :with the @ immediately following says to use a blank password for
>> the guest account.
>>
>>    - Tim Young
>>
>> Hilding Egestål wrote:
>>

>>> Well, sorry to say, I have had to reinstall Ubuntu, and now I have
>>> forgotten how I did the trick with Samba and printer. Actually, I have
>>> never succeeded to use my old computer (only Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora6,
>>> Knoppix and Mandriva) together with my new one (with XP, Ubuntu and
>>> Fedora6) concerning the printing. I was able to use Ubuntu and Ubuntu on
>>> the XPmachine, but I would like to manage printing when WindowsXP is
>>> used. Not all familymembers like Linux at this moment.
>>>
>>> So, my old PC is 192.168.0.3 and my new with connected printer USB is
>>> 192.168.0.2.
>>> I have used http://localhost:631 and when I am coming to write the path
>>> I am always confused. Shall I write:
>>>
>>> smb://192.1658.0.2:631/printers/Brother