[CS-FSLUG] Recovering Evolution Address Book

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:18:26 CDT 2007

Hey everyone,

We've had a disaster with dad's computer. He trusted all his e-mail
in the hands of Evolution without making a back-up, and after a bad
update in Ubuntu he lost everything. We have what looks like the
original files, but either the data therein got messed up, or simply
nothing including Evolution will open older Evolution address books.
We have a collection of .db files, they are in binary and as such
filtering through by hand won't do us any good. I've tried moving the
old files over to a new evolution on another computer, but it just
wouldn't see the old contacts or the address books. We've also tried
importing, and evolution doesn't have the ability to import it's own
address books as they were stored. Finally we tried looking at
alternatives, and even waiting to see if the original evolution
installation would be fixed after some updates, but it was all
without success.

I need to know now, after exhausting several days on building a new
computer for dad, installing CentOS on it, and then trying to use it
to recover the evolution contacts or even the old e-mails. Is there
anything we can do to recover those contacts, or are they gone forever?

Just so we know what the score is, I've tried importing the address
books with Sylpheed, KMail, and Evolution.

PS. I know what you're all thinking, and yes I've told him over and
over and over again that he should keep some kind of back-up.