[CS-FSLUG] Samba and XP - I found a HOWTO do with XP

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Mon Mar 5 17:28:58 CST 2007

Tim Young wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry to do this to you, but I have run out of time for a while.  :)  So
> if there are other samba gurus out there on this list, can you help out
> Hilding?
>
>     - Tim
>
> Hilding Egestål wrote:
>> OK thank You once more. So, the only thing to do inside XPHomeEdition is
>> to go to ....... and .......
>>
>> /Hilding

Sorry I wasn't following very closely.  So I may be rehashing
something or adding to any confusion by what I might say.

I just recently wrestled with my little smb setup here to tighten the
grip on who might be accessing my share.  My intention is to simply
share my own smb share I have running in VmWare with my XP host.  My
XP host is logged into a domain server not to the local machine.  The
Linux I have installed in VmWare is FC5 running from USB drive and
using the NAT networking setting.  My company has blocked DHCP to only
those machines authenticated with by the domain server.  I originally
used the KDE Control Center to setup my smb  sharing homes.  However I
felt a bit uncomfortable with the possibility of people with remote
desktop access being able to drop into my share.  So I created a new
share with access to only part of my /home space.  I had great
difficulty with the KDE Control Center giving access to this new
share.  For some reason I was simply not able to authenticate into it.

So I prefer/suggest using swat to configure SAMBA.  Starting with a
clean slate, I removed the homes share and printers.  Prior to all
this I added my user via the terminal console: 'smbpasswd -a warren'.
This is very similar to adding a new system user.  Also I used the
same user as my existing system user; not sure why but it doesn't like
non system users being added, go figure.

Some non SAMBA defaults I am using are depicted in my smb.conf file below:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2007/03/02 13:56:48

[global]
        workgroup = WD
        netbios name = USB
        server string =
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 1
        server signing = auto
        preferred master = No
        domain master = No
        ldap ssl = no

[USB2]
        path = /home/warren/software/Xfer
        read only = No

Also I am not using the same workgroup as my windows xp pro domain
host is using.  In xp, I browse the network neighborhood and into my
WD workgroup I find the USB share and browsing to it pops up the
authentication window.  I choose not to save password.  I also don't
map to this share.  What I do is create a shortcut to the
\\WD\USB\usb2 share and have it on my Desktop or quick links toolbar.
In the morning I click it and it asks for authentication and am set
for the day.  No worries about IP address or XP home or XP pro here at
work or at home; it all just works.

- --
Warren Sanders