[CS-FSLUG] Anyone else running Ubuntu & Evolution?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Mar 4 19:05:22 CST 2007

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Nathan T. wrote:

> I'm also considering an alternative distribution, which in dad's case
> would be a drastic move because he's spent years collecting a list of
> uncommon programs to use. Dad's needs consist of being able to run
> programs like Xastir and Evolution, and given that this isn't the
> first time we've had problems with Ubuntu updates breaking things,
> dependability is a must. I was considering SUSE except that dad's
> running off a 500MHz processor and maybe half a gigabyte of ram. Can
> anyone offer some suggestions (and please, no Gentoo or Slackware, we
> need as much hand-holding built into the distro as possible because I
> tend to lose my week-ends installing the next crazy app dad needs, or
> cleaning up after the latest round of messed up updates). I've been
> considering Mandriva again, except that there are no multimedia
> codecs bundled with it.

You'll get lots of promotions and some arguments about the ones
rejected. Here's my offer: Install CentOS 4.4 and I'll personally offer
the hand-holding free and without limit. I have it running on a 350Mhz
machine just fine. I'll also help with compiling packages not
available, and help as much as I can when they break. That's not to say
it's guaranteed to work, but I'll personally provide the support to
give it a reasonable chance.

--
Ed Hurst