[CS-FSLUG] Samba with Ubuntu and XP

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Mar 4 16:21:41 CST 2007

You do not need the computer and domain to log into a Linux box.  Just
the username will suffice.  I do not think that would keep you from
logging in, however.

Windows XP defaults to using an encrypted password.  You can disable
this feature, or make sure that samba has the encrypted password option
turned on.  I would recommend turning on the encryption.

In the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, search through it to make sure the
encrypted passwords option is set to "yes".
restart samba.  (/etc/init.d/smb restart)

Then, you need to make sure you have a login and samba password for that
user:
smbpasswd -a ann

Then try logging in again.

    - Tim Young