[CS-FSLUG] Laptop and Linux - what to do?

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 28 15:26:17 CST 2007

> In fact, there is a swedish puppylinux, and I have studied it a little
> bit. Some questions are coming up, perhaps some more elementary than
> others, but I will put them on the line (or online)
> 1. If I will install Puppy, it will replace Fedora Core5, which after
> all these updates is functioning with both Bibletime and Gnomesword. BUT
> every time I have tried to make this replacement I get problems with
> GRUB. I can't get any OS, neither XP or Linux. What is happening then?

Are you installing Puppy 2.13 or some other version?

Have you looked at the dual-boot instructions on the
Puppy web site (the Forum archives and the Wiki) for

There are some eccentricities of XP and GRUB that
require some effort to get them to play nicely via
GRUB.  Sometimes you have to manually tweak GRUB.

I know there is an instruction on the Puppy Forum
for this because I had started to do Puppy and Win98se
on a desktop here but got distracted and have not yet
returned to that project.

> 2. Puppy has got QTParted and GParted, and a special GRUBloader. I have
> understood it like this: I have to format the partition with Fedora to
> an ext3 (or ext2). SWAP already exists. How do I write grub.conf with
> Puppy and XP? Or is it autom. done?

It may be automated with Puppy 2.13, I know they have been
working on that.

I believe that XP has to be loaded first, then Linux because
XP (all MS products) and finicky and do not play well with
others.

> 3. Puppy - is it some basic distro "deep inside"? If I will download a
> program, e.g. browser Opera, shall I go for deb, rpm, or ...?

Puppy is the standard Linux kernel to which they
have added some things, always trying to keep them
small, efficient, user-friendly, and reliable.

I am a long long long way short of an expert with
Puppy so I would encourage you to create a free
account on the Puppy Forum because almost everyone
there is more knowledeable than am I!  :-)

I just noticed that I have been driving them crazy
with my questions and wild ideas for about 2 years
now!

--

Respectfully,  David
Minister of Discipleship & Education