[CS-FSLUG] International Data - Country codes anyone

Greg Slade grgaslists at rogers.com
Sat Dec 1 11:04:22 CST 2007

>  Another area of interest are the upper case characters used by the
>  European postal services which often are prefixed to their postal
>  city codes, e.g., CH 1860 Aigle, VD, Suisse.  I believe the codes
>  used are the same as for their automobile license plates ( could be
>  wrong here ).

I set up my personal address book with a logical field named "Code
First?" When I tick it, then a person's address prints out (on labels
and lists that I have programmed correctly) with "CH-1860 Aigle", and
when I don't tick it, it prints out with "Vancouver, BC V6M 3C9". Of
course, that sort of trick depends on the flexibility of the report writer.

Another complication is that, in a number of countries, dialling long
distance within the country means that a number starts with a "0", but
that "0" is not included if you're calling from outside that country.
Thus, a person might report their number as "0-325-019-473", but it
would really be "49-325-019-473" (plus your international dialling
prefix: 011 in my case) for you.

God bless,

Greg