[CS-FSLUG] Extracting soundtrack from WMV

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Apr 12 08:44:44 CDT 2007

Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> Ed Hurst wrote:
>> Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:
>>> mplayer -ao pcm -vo null '/path/to/file.wmv'
>> As a follow-up, I note the resulting WAV was HUGE -- 20.6MB. I read up
>> on conversions, and found 'lame' would compress that to a tidy 93KB MP3,
>> quite quickly from the commandline.
>>
> If you're looking for Open Source, you should look into Ogg Vorbis
> rather than MP3.  It usually provides better sound for the file size,
> too.  Either one is a lossy compression scheme, though.  If you want
> lossless compression look into FLAC.  It doesn't have the high
> compression ratios, but still saves about 50% with NO loss of fidelity.

Thanks. In this case, I'm doing this for a Win-user who isn't going to
be getting techy enough to use anything not built into XP. Specifically,
I am helping an aging gentleman (slowly going blind) to collect some of
his favorite music. Eventually it will all be committed to CDs for when
his sight is so far gone he can no longer use a computer. The music is
mostly Boogie Woogie from the most active part of his youth.

Personally I prefer Ogg format for my own use.

--
Ed Hurst