[CS-FSLUG] Archiving Mailing Lists

Greg Slade grgaslists at rogers.com
Fri Apr 6 19:15:56 CDT 2007

> " The biggest problem we've run into while researching
> suggestions is that our archives are behind a members-only
> "wall" and I'm told that prevents most solutions from
> indexing the archives. We also will not have ssh access
> to our new server - again limiting what we can use."

Personally, I consider that "wall" an essential feature. It can be turned
off (or at least it could, in older versions. I suppose it's possible
that the developers have recently made it mandatory), but if it's turned
off, then anybody can go through the list archives, and that means that
anybody who posts to the list ends up having their posts indexed on
Google and other search engines, even if they intended their posting to
be restricted to the membership of the list. It also means that posting
to the list exposes your E-mail address to spambots.

God bless,

Greg

Greg Slade    grga at bluebottle.com    http://associate.com/camsoc/greg/
"One must keep pointing out that Christianity is a statement which, if
false, is of *no* importance, and, if true, of infinite importance."
                                                          - C.S. Lewis