[CS-FSLUG] OT: Prayer Request-Sermon

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:45:40 CDT 2006

On 9/29/06, Christopher Rose <kf6snj at lycos.com> wrote:

> Here is my prayer request. I will be doing the sermon at Our Saviour's
> Lutheran Church LCMC/NWD in Burien WA (http://www.embark.to/oslc) on
> Sunday 1 October 2006 at 09:30am.

Chris, I will keep you in my prayers and I hope that, in God's grace, all
goes well and that your sermon helps to draw your listeners closer to the
Heart of Jesus.

Bordeaux, a Cajun highlander, from Rapids Parish in central Louisiana,
> was an older, single gentleman, who was born and raised a Baptist, living
> in
> Southern Louisiana. Each Friday night after work, he would fire up his
> outdoor
> grill and cook a venison steak. Now, all of Boudreaux's neighbors were
> Catholic and since it was Lent, they were forbidden from eating meat on
> Fridays. The delicious aroma from the grilled venison steaks were causing
> such a problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their
>
> priest. The priest came to visit Bordeaux, and suggested that Boudreaux
> convert to Catholicism. After several classes and much study, Bordeaux
> attended Mass, and as the priest sprinkled holy water over him, he said,
> "You were born as a Baptist and raised as a Baptist, but now you are
> Catholic." Bordeaux's neighbors were greatly relieved, until Friday night
> arrived, and the wonderful aroma of grilled venison filled the neighborhood.
> The priest was called immediately by the neighbors and, as he rushed into
> Bordeaux's yard, clutching a rosary and prepared to scold him, he stopped in
> amazement and watched. There stood Bordeaux, clutching a small bottle of
> water which he carefully sprinkled over the grilling meat, and chanted: "You
> wuz born a deer, and you wuz raised a deer, but now you a catfish."

The joke made me snicker, Chris, but honestly, if I were you I would drop it
faster than a red-hot coal. Some time in the past year, it may even have
been about this time last year, the pastor at my parish told a "Baptist
joke" at the beginning of his homily. The joke was light-hearted and no more
antagonistic than your "Catholic joke" but six different people got up and
walked out after he had finished the joke. I found out later that at least
four of them (2 couples, not in anyway related to each other, sitting in
very different places inside the Church building) were Baptists who were
attending the Mass with Catholic friends (who knows, the other two folks may
have been getting up to use the restroom at just that time, or maybe they
were offended too).  They really were upset and told there friends that
their disappointment was strong enough that they would not return for "round
two."

My point is ... it's not worth it; choose some other joke that will lighten
the mood and get your point across without poking fun -- even light-hearted
fun -- at another faith community. Just my 2 cents ...

:-)

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--