[CS-FSLUG] Software Linux Fedora

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Sep 26 14:28:28 CDT 2006

hilding wrote:

> I have succeeded to uninstall gnomesword. If I download an rpm-file, I
> have used to click on the file, and mostly the program was installed
> properly, but I tried to get the browser Opera9 and did not succeed, so
> I am just wondering if I should change to Ubuntu. Have You ever got some
> bibleprogram for Linux rightly installed, may I add with a smile on my face.

I'll add to Gabe's advice with this: Since you are new to Linux, I would
recommend you stay with Ubuntu. Fedora will actually be more work, and
is less "ready for prime time."

In Linux and Unix, most packages don't come as free-standing installable
binaries. There are a handful of different package management systems,
and each one has its quirks.

With Ubuntu, the trick is to get used to using the apt-get package
manager, or one of its many GUI front-ends, like Synaptic. You'll need
to check if your 'sources.list' file is properly setup to access all the
various repositories for downloading. Instructions here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_apt-get_the_easy_way_.28Synaptic.29

Just about anything you could want or need from Linux is probably
already compiled for Ubuntu (a version of Debian) and ready to install
somewhere out there.

--
Ed Hurst