[CS-FSLUG] Locking down a machine in the Church

Scott Parks scottaparks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 14:38:40 CDT 2006

Hello everyone!

I am working on a project where I will be installing a new computer
to be used for Worship.  The main reason for the replacement is
the age of the machine, the other is the fact that this machine has
been basically destroyed with viruses, spyware, etc.

The problem with this machine is that it is mostly used by youth -
they did stop using it during the services - but it is connected to high
speed to download lyrics from the Media Shout site and other multi-
media clips that the Pastors might need for the service.

Putting the thing on a proxy server will work for a little, but I am
sure the "talented youth" as they call themselves will figure it out and
bypass it eventually.  What I ideally would like to do is force this
machine to use the proxy and filter all traffic on this machine only.
It is a Windows machine so I have to baby it, but also can NOT filter
the rest of the office traffic.

So, my question is - where do I start and can it be done where I
force this machine and this machine only to have all traffic
filtered?  Can
I simply set up a gateway on a Linux box and tell the WIndows machine
to use it?  They then could modify the gateway to the high
speed connection (and yes, they would try something like that).

Looking for some thoughts.....

Thank you!

-Scott