[CS-FSLUG] Printerproblems with CUPS

Hilding he7316575 at yahoo.se
Tue Oct 10 01:20:00 CDT 2006

Ed Hurst wrote:

>On Monday 09 October 2006 16:16, Hilding wrote:
>

>>I have had a look on the error file in /var/cups
>>I have problems to get the cups program saving the password for the
>>user.
>>

>[snip]
>

>>returned 7 (Authentication failure)!
>>E [09/Oct/2006:23:11:02 +0200] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>>E [09/Oct/2006:23:11:14 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Empty Basic username!
>>E [09/Oct/2006:23:11:15 +0200] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>>

>I have not seen the GNOME version of CUPS setup utility (since I run
>Kubuntu), so I'm not sure how it works. Did the configuration utility
>require you to provide your sudo password? If not, was there something
>in the interface which offered you the chance to take up "Adminstrator"
>rights? This looks to me like an error from a regular user trying to
>setup CUPS, and it's simply not allowed. If you run the configuration
>from sudo (or if you enable the root user password and login as root),
>then it should not have this error.

Actually, when I have gone to http://localhost:631 and that way reached
the configuration for the printer, when I have to change papersize
(format is the swedish word for size!!) from Letter to A4, it pops up
'username'and 'password'. Then I have tried both with root-user and
password for root, and username (not for the root) with password. It
pops up again with nothing saved.