[CS-FSLUG] Weighing In On The GPLv3 Debate

John Mark Clayton clayton256 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:58:21 CST 2006

Thanks Don, for the explanation.  I'm beginning to understand.  I thought of
tivo as a "good
guy" being one of the first popular consumer products to use the linux
kernel.  I was not
aware of the digital key thing.  Is it a new thing?
The subtleties of the DRM part still eludes me.  No, I'm not happy about
having my music
crippled so I have to listen to it on a Windows box or an ipod.  And I
wouldn't be happy if my
code was used in a project that promotes or facilitates DRM.  But people and
companies
have the right(?) to release "closed" music/movies/software.
I'm guessing that the likes of ThreadX, OSE, WindRiver and LynxWorks are
very excited about
these new GPL clauses!  What a great way to scare off the corporate world.
Either that or
they'll go underground buy not admitting they're using GPL code.  Which I
suspect some are
doing now anyhow.
For now, I think I will stick with v2.  But sometime down the road, I can
see getting a big
headache accepting returned units only to find out some nube tried to flash
in a modified
version they tried to compile themselves...
Thanks again,
Mark

clayton256 at gmail.com