[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Alan Trick alantrik at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 31 00:04:43 CST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 12:03 -0600, doc wrote:

> The musician invests months or years in developing
> and exceptional piece of music.
>
> He and his family sacrifice financially and socially
> during this time.
>
> Under the propositions posted here once he has sold
> a single copy he no longer has any right to expect
> any compensation for his efforts.
>
> Say he sells the first CD for $20.  After all of the
> organizations involved (managers, fellow musicians,
> recording studios, CD copying factory, marketing
> agencies, advertising venues, the wholesaler, the
> transportation company, the retail store, government
> taxes, etc) extract their percentages he may be lucky
> to pocket a tiny fraction of that $20.
>
> So he has to show for all of his efforts a few pennies
> and millions take advantage of him for personal
> pleasure.
>
> There is some seriously defective thought in this
> philosophical construct.

This is and appeal to pity, proof by anectdote, and a strawman argument.
Music has been around a long, long time, while copyright is a fairly
modern idea.

If we go back to talking about software there are several businesses
that have made a decent amount of money off of Free Software. No one
here is saying that your musician should work for no money, but mabye
they should think of different ways to do things. It's not like
musicians starved for thousands of years before the concept of copyright
came around.