[CS-FSLUG] Cd Drives

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Fri Mar 31 07:10:45 CST 2006

I used to know somebody with a slot loading CD drive on thier computer (well, really a windoze box, but whatever). Near as I could tell, he never had any problems with his. My guess is that perhaps it is just that people have a hard time adapting to change. Though I do wonder if perhaps the other reason for this is simply cost, as I don't know what the cost difference is between a slot loading drive and a tray loading drive. I am willing to concede to one point, however. That one is this, our current tray loading CD drives are definately better than the old case loading CD drives. In case you are wondering, this was a CD drive in which you had to put the CD into a special plastic case before putting it into the CD drive. Definately a discouraging setup if you wanted to play a music CD or a video game in which most of the game data was read from CD. Worse still, you could forget about boot up from CD (even though most computer then didn't have that option), as these drives were mostly external units taking up a sizable chunk of desk space. I would have to say, as before, our current tray drives are better, but I might be convinced of a slot drive if I could get one or two that could read and write DVDs as well as CDs.

Christopher Rose
Linux Counter User: #350477
http://www.counter.li.org