[CS-FSLUG] Cd Drives

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:38:50 CST 2006

Hi everyone

It just occurred to me that I haven't seen too many slot loading CD
rom drives, the ones without the trays that come out. Apple has
adopted them, they are also in vehicle sound systems, but besides that
they aren't very well adopted, even wintel laptops still use tray

I'm curious why this would be the case, I thought with less parts
sticking out the drives would be more popular, yet outside of Mac
hardware I have seen more CD drives that took those hugs floppy disk
style enclosures than ones that were slot-loading.

Does anyone know why? I'm starting to suspect there's something wrong
with the slot loading drives if they're not being adopted.