[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 30 12:03:05 CST 2006

 > Robert W. wrote:
> I'm not so sure about the value of copyrights on electronic media:
> software, DVDs, cassette tapes, CDs, etc. And I'm just thinking out loud
> about the points below. I'm still not quite sure the expressed opinions
> are good...
>
> Copyright law has an enforceable purpose where the cost of making is
> high. Infringers will be fewer. The more it costs to copy, the more one
> must make back on that investment. Plus physical copies require some
> sort of production and distribution system. With paper books, you need a
> press and expertise to run that press. It takes quite a bit of time
> (though less than copying by hand). That gives the copyright holder a
> target. And fewer targets lowers the cost of enforcing your copyrights.
>
> Software, digital music, digital movies, etc have an extremely low cost
> for copying. You can make perfect copies in minutes. That covers both
> production and distribution. And that ease comes inherently from the
> media. The question, in my mind, becomes "should the consumer understand
> and follow a complicated contract or should the author find a medium
> that better protects their ideas?"
>
> If you look at each individual case, the contract idea doesn't sound so
> bad. But most computer systems have more than one piece of software. And
> most people own more than one CD or DVD. All of those contracts hinder
> the consumer. That violates the principle of "do unto others as you
> would have them do unto you". Well in my current opinion, anyway.
>
> So I'm starting to lean towards the idea that copyright law should
> balance any uses inherent in the medium. How to accomplish that
> practically is a whole other can of worms.

The musician invests months or years in developing
and exceptional piece of music.

He and his family sacrifice financially and socially
during this time.

Under the propositions posted here once he has sold
a single copy he no longer has any right to expect
any compensation for his efforts.

Say he sells the first CD for $20.  After all of the
organizations involved (managers, fellow musicians,
recording studios, CD copying factory, marketing
agencies, advertising venues, the wholesaler, the
transportation company, the retail store, government
taxes, etc) extract their percentages he may be lucky
to pocket a tiny fraction of that $20.

So he has to show for all of his efforts a few pennies
and millions take advantage of him for personal
pleasure.

There is some seriously defective thought in this
philosophical construct.

--
Respectfully ... dmc

Home page: http://bibleseven.com