[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:37:22 CST 2006

On 3/29/06, Alan Trick <alantrik at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > The assumption is that the product of a person's labor
> > is only valueless and subject to uncompensated theft
> > if it is software.
>
> Actually, the problem lies in how (or if) you view intellectual
> property. One of my favourite hackers, Richard Stallman said "When
> someone uses the term 'intelectual property', typically he's either
> confused himself, your trying to confuse you." Knowlege is not property
> as we think of it. Knowlege ought to be free, even the founders of the
> USPTO knew that (oh how things have changed).

I can appreciate the dilemma you have presented.  As I mentioned, Bell
got the credit for something an Italian had already invented.  We
often share common ideas for which determining ownership is hardly
possible, let alone desirable.  Still, I have always believed in the
American copyright (and patent) system.  I believe it is an invaluable
system, even with all its current warts.  However, I have learned that
the entities that make up "big business" were seeking, not to maintain
the balance, but to thwart the balance in favor of copyright holders
(who are not always the authors).  That is not capitalism, but greed.

Blessings,
Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist