[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 27 18:48:28 CST 2006

>> Most proprietary software advocates like to ignore the second part,
>> though. The profits gained from a free market follow the law of supply
>> and demand. If your supply outpaces the demand, then prices fall. When
>> your supply trails the demand, prices rise.
>>
>> The supply of software is nearly infinite. One can make a perfect copy
>> of any software. And one can continue making perfect copies without
>> degrading the original. So as the supply approaches infinity, the price
>> drops closer to zero.
>>
>> That is why proprietary software companies can not survive in a
>> capitalist economy. They produce a nearly valueless product.
>>
>> A proprietary software license is an attempt to artificially reduce
>> supply so prices rise. In other words, proprietary licenses counteract a
>> free market. And, therefore, goes against the very definition of
>> capitalism.
>>
> Interesting, and I agree.  Essentially, it's a form of price gouging.
> Would that be a fair assessment?
> Don

NO!

The rules of clear reasoning have been violated here
such that an irrational assumption followed by logical
steps has resulted in an irrational conclusion.

The assumption is that the product of a person's labor
is only valueless and subject to uncompensated theft
if it is software.

Let's apply this consistently and watch the entire
productivity of the world drop dramatically.

The reality is that the product of a person's creativity
and labor is his or hers to price as he or she chooses,
the marketplace rules only engage *after* that point.
If the price and value are a good match to the need or
desire of the consumer the product will sell, if price
is out of balance with need or desire it will not.

In the case of software (or music or writing or similar)
if someone steals the product of your creativity and
labor (that is, they use it without compensating you
at the rate you specify) then they can and should be
arrested and prosecuted.

This is true of the creative side of hardware.  If you
design a new car and another manufacturer steals your
idea and copies it then you have legitimate recourse
against them because they have not earned the right to
use the product of your creativity.

A more accurate description of software may be the
"lease" construct vs the outright sale.  When you
buy software you are merely leasing it ad infinitum
for a specified purpose without the right to transfer
it to anyone unless the original terms of use are
maintained (a single pc/user license is a single pc/
user license = each copy may be used by only one
person on one pc at a time).

There is no conflict here with the principles of
capitalism whatsoever.

Those who *choose* to waive some or all of the
legitimate restrictions they have to the product
of their creative labors may do so but they may
not then cast aspersions upon those who do not so
choose.  To do so is to bear false witness and to
claim to know the other person's heart.

That I *choose* to use the product of my creative
labors to earn the capacity to feed and clothe
and protect my family against the elements hardly
makes me a bad person.

Have I cast light or only more confusion?

--
Respectfully ... dmc

Home page: http://bibleseven.com

Biblical Christianity is Jesus