[CS-FSLUG] Proprietary Software: Capitalism or Greed?

Jukka jukka.ylonen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 03:17:37 CST 2006

On 3/22/06, Alan Trick <alantrik at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> You're confusing Free Software with Open Standards.

No I don't think so.

> Although Free
> Software implies Open Standards (it's pretty difficult to keep something
> closed if someone can just read the code) you can have them with
> non-free stuff too. For example the HTML standard is open, but Internet
> Explorer, Safari, and Opera are not.

[snip]

> Free/Open Source software is different. It's great stuff, but it's not
> as neccisary.

I didn't say there are no closed source software which use open
standards. Of course there is.

My point was that _operating systems_ should should be part of the
infrastructure which is open/available for everybody. Without such
operating system it is not possible to ensure that software runs
optimally and as it should.

(btw. sorry if I cannot express myself clear enough - my english is
really not very good..)

- Jukka